May 24, 2013

Chronicles of an Addict: Preface

Hi everyone!!
Since the translation of HWU last volume will take a while, I decided that from now on I'll, or least try, write an entry once a week called Chronicles of an Addict.

Why? 
Well, it's just that I felt that I should do something more than translating HWU, and do dramas reviews... A bit boring, isn't it? /:

What exactly?
About everything I'm addicted to i.e. manga, drama, anime, Kpop, Jpop/rock mostly and other stuffs...
I'm sure you were all thinking: "Oh no, not dramas and Kpop again *rolls eyes*
But last time I checked, I'm not only addicted to drama & Kpop :p
So every week, I'll write an entry about something completely random

But first, as the title says: The Preface...
Basically, here I'm going to explain my long journey of an addict to anime, first, then manga and last but not least dramas and Kpop.


It all began with those 2 animes
Card Captor Sakura
Sailor Moon


Ah, this brings back memories...

Anyways, it was back when I was 10-12 years old, and they were broadcasting those 2 animes on TV. Every day, after school, I was in front the TV watching my daily episodes. Little by little, I began to watch more and more animes on television. More or less at the same time my interest for mangas grew as well. The very first one I bought was Battle Angel Alita 
list of completed mangas & animes

Also, I began to be acquainted with the Japanese language thanks to the opening and ending songs of the animes.

Opening from Gensomaden Saiyuki



In 2008 when I atended L'Arc~en~Ciel's concert, a J-rock group, in Paris...


Another addiction of mine was born: Jrock.

Since then, I haven't stopped listening to Jrock.

My addiction to dramas, Jpop & Kpop...

I first heard about dramas when I was in, as I call it, my Sailor Moon craze xD
They had written in a French magazine for teenage girl about Sailor Moon being adapted in live action...
What the...
The first thing I thought was: "What the heck is that?! o.O"
Let me tell you that seeing this didn't really make me wanna watch dramas, on the contrary!
I was avoiding them like a plague! I was like: How can my wonderful mangas and animes be turned into this?! D:

But then almost 3 years ago now, a friend from my Russian class told me that I should give dramas a shot. It's not gonna kill you, she said. So, since I was bored, I decided to watch the live adaptation of a manga I had recently read: Hanazakari no Kimitachi e
Let me tell you people, I loved it so much that I pulled an all-nighter :O
And since then, well...
117 completed dramas in less than 3 years. . .

At first, I was only watching Jdramas and with it I became more acquainted with Jpop

One of the first Jpop song I came to like was Seishun Amigo from the drama Nobuta wo Produce (It is still my favorite Jpop song today)




At that moment, I also learned  what the word Johnny's meant xD but that's another story ;)
Favorite J-pop group so far: KAT-TUN

Later on, in summer to be precise, I watched my first Kdrama: You're Beautiful
It's after watching that drama that my latest addiction was born: Kpop.

Well, it's after hearing Lee Hong Ki (from FTIsland) singing this song:



And now I got over 500 Kpop songs in my music Library :|

today...



- I'm a huge drama addict
Even write about them on occasion:
- I've left out mangas and animes a little, but they're still very dear to me :)

- I love some actors so much that I ended up "stalking" them and even write articles about them:
And that's about it...

So here was the Preface to the Chronicles of an addict

See you next week for the 1st Chapter!

twinkle

4 comments:

  1. Shuuji! Akira! *dances*

    This sounds like fun. Hmm. What'll be on Chapter 1..?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh interesting how you got into everything. I honestly thought anime was weird until one of my friends forced me to watch Fruits Basket when I was about 11 and I've loved it since. I haven't actually watched any dramas yet, though I've been meaning to for the longest time.
    Question, just since you mentioned Russian class, how many languages can you speak?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Fruits Basket! <3
      Good anime to start with =D
      When you'll feel like starting dramas and don't know which one you should start first, just ask ;)
      And about the languages I speak:
      I'm fluent in English, French & Spanish
      I got basics in Dutch, German, and Japanese
      And I can read/write Russian & Korean

      Delete