December 21, 2011

Chinese Movie: Farewell my concubine

Today, after cleaning my apartment, I decided to present to you one of the most beautiful film I've ever seen.

Farewell my concubine tells us the story of Douzi and Xialou. The film begins in 1924, when they first meet at the Beijing Opera training school. After that, they never separated each other playing together, Farewell my concubine, an opera that tells us the last moment of the prince Xian Yu and his concubine, Yu ji and her suicide.

Dieyi ‒ Douzi's stage name ‒  is homosexual; he's in love with Xialou who's married to Ju Xian. And in despair he throws himself into the arms of a sponsor, master Yuan, and gets into drugs. But the stage and their friendship bring Dieyi and Xialou together in spite of everything that everything that happened. But the hardest  blow will come from the young Xiao Si, a boy they adopted and taught him the art of the opera. Because of him and the Cultural Revolution, they end up tearing each other appart. 

Okay I think that's it for the summary. I hope it's not too complicated to understand, but there's so much to say about the film.

Anyways, hum what else...
First, I have to say that the thing that immediately caught my intention was the acting quality of the three main characters, especially Leslie Cheung's (R.I.P.). The emotions are there and at some point  you just feel sorry for the characters despite everything, and you're ending up crying. Also what I liked is that they pictured major events in the 20th century Chinese history i.e. the Cultural Revolution, the birth of communism in China, the end of the last dynasty, the Japanese occupation and other stuff.

And some extra informations: The film won the Palme d'Or in Cannes and The Golden Globe.

Argh, there's so much to say about the film that I don't even know what to say. It's such a beautiful film.

Okay lastly, the actors' photos:

Leslie Cheung as Dieyi/Douzi
Gong Li as Ju Xian

Zhang Fengyi as Xiaolou

No comments:

Post a Comment